Historical Markers

The historical marker program, established in 1946, is one of the Pennsylvania Historical Commission's oldest and most popular programs. The blue and gold markers located throughout the state highlight people, places, and events significant in state and national history. Presently, over 1,900 markers recognize Pennsylvania's history – from William Penn's country home, to the Lattimer Massacre, to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the nation's first long–distance superhighway. Exerpts can be found on PHMC's website

West Bradford Township currently has two official markers:

Marker Name: John Beale Bordley
Dedicated in: 1953
Marker Type: Roadside
Location: W. Strasburg Rd, just off PA162
(1.6 miles west of Marshallton)

Marker Text:

The noted agriculturalist purchased land just north of here in 1792 and named it "Como Farm". Here, he conducted numerous experiments on crop rotation and maintenance of soil fertility. Bordley planned new devices for seeding and reaping wheat. His works on Rotation of Crops, and Husbandry and Rural Affairs were widely read. Died, 1804.

Marker Name: Humphry Marshall
Dedicated in: 2014
Marker Type: Roadside
Location: W. Strasburg & Northbrook Intersection
             (adjacent to Marshal's former farmstead)

Marker Text:

One of the first nurserymen in the nation and the author of the first book on North American trees and shrubs. "Arbustum Americanum:  The American Grove."  Marshall is known as the Father of American Dendrology.  He regularly supplied native American plants to prominent Europeans eager to learn about species new to them  His plants graced the gardens of England's King George III and King Louis XVI of France.  He built and lived in this house.