Yard waste cannot be burned - it is against Township ordinance to burn recyclables (leaves and sticks are considered recyclable by mulching). Please see Ordinance #05-04.
The Township offers a leaf, stick and brush collection program for Township residents only. There are four curbside collections each fall. This Spring curbside collections will occur on the following Wednesdays:
March 28, April 18 & May 9
Pickups must be scheduled @ 610-269-4174 or by emailing P. Murdoch. Pickup must be scheduled by 2pm the day before the collection date. Please specify whether you have leaf bags, stick bags or bundled brush; as different trucks will pick up the different types of yard waste. There is no cost for this service, as it is included in your refuse and recycling fee.
- Leaves must be bagged in bio-degradable paper leaf collection bags and will only be picked up in these bags. (Do not mix sticks in with the leaves.)
- Sticks may also be bagged in bio-degradable paper leaf collection bags. (Do not mix leaves in with the sticks.)
- The cost is $.50 per bag at the Township Office.
- Do not staple bags shut.
- Bags must be placed at curbside by 6 am on scheduled collection days.
- To avoid damaging the equipment used to compost the leaves they need to be free of plastic, trash, sticks and other debris.
- Leaves in other containers, including your toter, will not be collected. Plastic "biodegradable" or "compostable" bags will not be picked up as they will only break down under "ideal" circumstances and take much longer to biodegrade.
- Brush (shrubbery and tree trimmings) must be tied with biodegradable twine (cotton or hemp) into manageable bundles no longer than 4 feet. Branches thicker than 4 inches will not be collected.
Shrubbery and tree trimmings up to 8 inches in diameter or 8 feet in length may be taken to the Lanchester Landfill in Honey Brook for composting or shredding. There is a charge for this. Lanchester Landfill will not accept root balls, dirt or stones. Please call the Landfill at 610-273-3771 for more information.
Please also check out our Compost Site!